Sunday, September 16, 2012

I'm Still Smilin'

I’ve been so busy since I retired, I’m thinking of going back to work to get some rest. I’ve got so many irons in the fire that the local blacksmith union has filed a protest. I’m busier than a one armed paperhanger at a butt-kicking contest. To begin with there is the CompSci class I’m taking at Stanford University on-line. Just trying to keep up with those precocious twenty something’s is taking considerable effort and study. I’m knocking the cobwebs out of the knoggin, and I’ve filled a notebook with math scribbles and started on a second.

I’m currently in the middle of an annual task where I produce a music CD for a children’s dance troupe. I’ve done this for the last several years. The choreographer selects the music off YouTube and indicates the exact time range needed. For example, 2:12 – 3:49, of a particular selection. I record the selections, edit them to the length and time codes requested, do some level setting and audio processing, add fades where requested, and burn a CD that they use in their performance. There are usually a couple of iterations and refinements as dance practice progresses. I think I burned the final CD last night.

I’ve also got a batch of interviews from Denver Seminary and a two camera shoot of a blue grass show I’m working on for video and a couple of other photographic projects.

I’ve got my regular chores like walking the dog, going to the gym, and going out to eat — those seriously cut into my time. Plus there’s the complete Perry Mason collection from the late fifties that Linda and I are viewing in the evenings. What with trips to the store and the mall and paying the bills, I’ve hardly got a minute of free time.

Then my long time friend Ron sends me a wonderful CD done by George Martin and his son that has me re-listening to my entire Beatles catalog trying to match all the music bites to the original source … this is exhausting. Then EMI releases a Smile Sessions compilation and box set, and I’m off to my collection of music and books to dig deeper into the life and times and music of Brian Wilson in my continuing journey to emphasize the contrast between The B’s and The BB’s.

My before mentioned friend Ron is a serious vinyl collector, and, with the help of the internet and EBay, he has amassed a critical collection of Beatles sounds, and now he’s suggesting Smile bootleg disks to me. It is only natural that, over all those years that Smile was just a rumor, an anxious listening public wanted to find out what it was all about. Of course, “it” was not complete. Even the extant playlist, which never promised to give the song order, turned out to not be a product of Brian. Finally, in 2004, Brian and his collaborators finally produced an official Smile.

But even that wasn’t satisfying. We really wanted to know what the product, had it been completed back in the sixties, would have sounded like. Of course, no-one, even Brian himself, will ever know. Smile was a work in progress, a malleable and flexible idea that changed from day to day. Some would argue that it was simply too ahead of the state-of-the-art, and working with tiny snippets of music cut with a razor blade and taped together would ever be completed. Even “Good Vibrations” was only finished when Brian was forced to do the final mix. Who knows if he would have ever finished it or if the version we have today is the ultimate. (There’s a philosophical idea for you: the ultimate.)

When I think back to my listening experiences during the sixties, I admit I was much more impressed with the Beatles than the Beach Boys. The Beatles seemed to be truly breaking new ground — very fresh, new ground. Even though there were many ground breaking new musical ideas during that time, the Beatles had the newest and freshest and most powerful ideas. History has proven that.

The intensity with which teenagers listen to music is typically not matched at any other time in their lives. Before we had wives and husbands and kids and grand kids and jobs and careers, we truly lived for our music. Nothing else was so central in our being. The Beatles and the others were the sound track of our lives, our teenage symphony. We listened. We absorbed. We moved in rhythm. We were the music, and the music was us.

As time went on, I slowly discovered the original power of the Beach Boys. I don’t exactly recall when I bought the album Surf’s Up. It had that funny “tired indian” cover that didn’t match what you expected from the Beach Boys. Still, the title was about surfing, so I bought. What a surprise. Not sure I liked it at first, but it did become more interesting over time. I had not purchased Pet Sounds when it was first released, but after Surf’s Up, I went back in time and bought Pet Sounds. I think that might have been the last album I ever bought since I switched to CDs at about that same time.

In the last fifteen or so years I’ve steadily added to my CD collection and started filling in blanks and missing music from my teen years. Soon I had a complete Beatles, Rolling Stone, Beach Boys, Who, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, Frank Zappa, etc. collection. As I started listening more to the Beach Boys and began comparing their musical progress to that of the Beatles it dawned on me what I had missed in the original release dates. I started collecting books on the Beach Boys and was particularly influenced by Steven Gaines biography. I even began musically deconstructing “Good Vibrations,” but I frankly have not gotten too far on that effort.

I wrote a long note (article, monograph, thesis, whatever) challenging serious consideration of the Beach Boys’ music. Now that Ron has re-ignited my passion for the Beatles, I’m digging deeper into the source material of Smile.

You can read that original note I wrote over a year ago here:


I’ve got a very complete collection of books and CDs on the Beach Boys including both the Pet Sounds Sessions CDs and several Smile session tracks off the 30th Anniversary Beach Boys Box Set. Disk two of that box set had a lot of previously unreleased music from Smile. I’ve also got both the CD and the DVD from Brian Wilson’s 2004 release of Smile. Ron told me about a recent show on Showtime called “Beautiful Dreamer/Smile” that traced much of the history.

Many of the songs from Smile had surfaced on other Beach Boys albums previously. The before mentioned “Surf’s Up” and “Heroes and Villains” had reached the general public. Smiley Smile, 20/20, Sunflower, and Surf’s Up all contained some tracks. Then, in 1984, a tape containing a number of the original Smile tracks made its way to the outside world. Ultimately, four collector tapes can be identified.

1)   The 1984 tape, apparently compiled at the Beach Boys request for their personal use. Highlights included the legendary “Mrs. O’Leary’s Cow,” “Do You Like Worms,” “Can’t Wait Too Long,” and the “Surf’s Up” sessions. This tape served as the basis of the Smile (Version 1) bootleg LP on a fictitious Brother Records label.

2)   A tape that surfaced shortly thereafter, containing Brian’s original version of “Wonderful,” “Child is Father to the Man,” and better quality versions of many of the tracks on “Tape 1.” This tape became the Smile (Version 2) bootleg LP on the fictitious Brother label.

3)   A tape allegedly compiled by (and surreptitiously stolen from) Brian’s management when a legitimate Smile Sessions release was briefly considered in 1988. This tape contained the legendary original versions of “Wind Chimes” and “Vega-Tables,” Brian’s solo demo of “Surf’s Up,” and a rousing seven minutes of unreleased “Heroes and Villains” segments. This became the basis of a Japanese-origin Smile bootleg CD (T-2580-2) that took the Beach Boys’ collector’s circuit by surprise in 1990.

4)   Another tape from the same source as number 3, which included the original “I Love to Say Da Da,” “I’m In Great Shape” aka “I Wanna Be Around” aka “The Workshop Song,” and “Barnyard.” This tape originally appeared on a two-LP set (long live vinyl!) in 1991.

So what is a serious, soul-searching, unemployed musicologist to do, but find a Smile Bootlegs Discography. Ready, set, here we go with thanks to Lee Dempsey and Elliot Kendall at Endless Summer Quarterly Magazine:

VINYL

Smile (Brother Records # ST-2580)

Side 1: Good Vibrations * Barnyard * Do You Like Worms * Old Master Painter/You Are My Sunshine * Wonderful * Bicycle Rider * Can’t Wait Too Long * Tones * Cabin Essence/Who Ran the Iron Horse/The Grand Coulee Dam * Our Prayer

Side 2: George Fell Into His French Horn * Heroes and Villains * Vega-Tables * Wind Chimes * Mrs. O’Leary’s Cow * I Love to Say DA * Holidays * Surf’s Up * Child is Father to the Man

This legendary first bootleg of the Smile material comes with a one-page insert. Despite advertising to the contrary, it did not contain a full color Smile booklet. “Wonderful,” “Heroes and Villains,” “Wind Chimes,” “Cool, Cool Water,” and most of “Surf’s Up”/”Child is Father to the Man” are the released post-Smile versions. “Vega-Tables” is the Laughing Gravy (Dean Torrance) version. “Holidays” is actually a Miles Davis track, given to the bootleggers as a practical joke.

Smile (Brother Records # ST-2580-RE-1)

Side 1: Good Vibrations * Barnyard * Do You Like Worms? * Old Master Painter/You Are My Sunshine * Can’t Wait Too Long * Tones * Cabin Essence/Who Ran the Iron Horse/The Grand Coulee Dam

Side 2: Bicycle Rider * Heroes and Villains * Our Prayer * Wonderful * Vega-Tables * Wind Chimes * Mrs. O’Leary’s Cow * I Love to Say Da Da * Child is Father to the Man

Color cover and one-page insert. “Heroes and Villains” and “Wind Chimes” are still the release versions. “Vega-Tables” is still the Laughing Gravy (Dean Torrence) version.

Smile (no labels – 2 record set)

Side 1: Good Vibrations I * Good Vibrations II * Good Vibrations (Work Pieces) * Barnyard * With Me Tonight (early version)

Side 2: Can’t Wait Too Long * Wonderful * Holidays * Vegatables (including Mama Said) * Child is the Father to the Man

Side 3: Heroes and Villains * Do You Like Worms?/Bicycle Rider * Wind Chimes * Cabinessence * Old Master Painter/You Are My Sunshine * Our Prayer

Side 4: Tones * Mrs. O’Leary’s Cow (Fire) * George Fell Into His French Horn * Surf’s Up * Cool Water * You’re Welcome * Smile Promo Ad

Smile (Brother Records # ST-9002 – 3 record set)

Side 1: Heroes and Villains * Do You Like Worms? * Medley: Old Master Painter/You Are My Sunshine * Wonderful * Child is Father of the Man * Prayer * Cabin Essence

Side 2: Good Vibrations * Vegetables * Wind Chimes * Mrs. O’Leary’s Cow * Cool Cool Water * Surf’s Up

Side 3: Prayer * Love to Say Da Da * She’s Goin’ Bald * With Me Tonight * Wonderful * Child is Father of the Man * You’re Welcome * Heroes and Villains * Heroes and Villains * Do You Like Worms? * Do You Like Worms?

Side 4: Good Vibrations * Good Vibrations * Cabin Essence * Surf’s Up * Tones/Tune X * Tones/Tune X

Side 5: Medley: The Old Master Painter/You Are My Sunshine * George Fell Into His French Horn * Mrs. O’Leary’s Cow * Mrs. O’Leary’s Cow * Barnyard * The Woodshop Song * Holidays * Prayer

Side 6: Brian’s Smile Session Party

Red, green, and blue colored vinyl. Includes a full-color Smile poster and 7 pages of session sheets.

CD’s

The Smile Era Outtakes (Quality Compact Productions # QCP 67001)

Smile Promo Ad * Good Vibrations (diff. takes) * Do You Like Worms? * Been Way Too Long * Tones (Tune X) * Surf’s Up (try-outs) * Surf’s Up (vocal Brian) * Child is Father to the Man * Our Prayer * Bicycle Rider * Fire (2 segments) * Fire (no “fire” crackling noise) * Wonderful (Brian vocal) * Home on the Range * Barnyard * You Are My Sunshine/The Old Master Painter

Smile (The Early Years # 02-CD 3317)

Surf’s Up * Bicycle Rider Theme * Good Vibrations * Barnyard * Do You Like Worm’s? * Medley: Old Master Painter/You Are My Sunshine * Can’t Wait Too Long * Tones * Cabin Essence * George Fell Into His French Horn * Bicycle Rider Theme * Heroes and Villains * Our Prayer * Wonderful * The Four Elements – A)Earth: Vegatables – B) Wind: Wind Chimes – C) Fire: Mrs. O’Leary’s Cow – D) Water: I Love to Say Da Da * Child is Father to the Man * Surf’s Up * Good Vibrations * Smile Promo Advert

Beach Boys Good Vibrations: Smile (Sphinx # SXCD011)

Smile Promo Advert * Good Vibrations (extended version) * Barnyard (pt 1) * Do You Like Worms * The Old Master Painter * You Are My Sunshine * Bicycle Rider * Can’t Wait Too Long * Tones * Barnyard (pt 2) * Cabinessence * Our Prayer * George Fell Into His French Horn * Heroes and Villains (extended version) * Vegetables * Wind Chimes * Mrs. O’Leary’s Cow * Fire * I Love to Say Da Da * Holidays * Surf’s Up (instrumental) * Surf’s Up (vocal – Brian) * Child is Father to the Man * Home on the Range * Wonderful * Barbie * What is a You Girl Made Of?

Alive and Smilin’ (Sphinx # SXCD010)

California Girls * Sloop John B * Darlin’ * Shortenin’ Bread * Do It Again * Little Deuce Coupe * Skating USA (Roller Skating Child) * Peggy Sue * In My Room * Smile Promo Advert * Good Vibrations * Bicycle Rider * Been Way Too Long * Tones (instrumental) * Surf’s Up (tryout instrumental) * Surf’s Up (vocal – Brian) * Child is Father to the Man * Our Prayer * Bicycle Rider (version 2) * Fire (2 segments) * Fire (no “Fire” crackling noise) * Wonderful (vocal Brian) * Home on the Range * Barnyard * You Are My Sunshine/The Old Master Painter

Smile (T 2580-2)

Good Vibrations * Holidays * Vegetables * Child is Father to the Man * Wonderful * Been Way Too Long * Barnyard * Cabinessence * Our Prayer * Tones * Barnyard * Heroes and Villains * Do You Like Worms? * Wind Chimes * Mrs. O’Leary’s Cow * George Fell Into His French Horn * Surf’s Up * The Old Master Painter * You Are My Sunshine * Cool, Cool Water

Picture disc.

Smile + Bits and Pieces (T 2580-2 – 2 CD set)

Disc 1: Good Vibrations * Holidays * Vegetables * Child is Father to the Man * Wonderful * Been Way Too Long * Barnyard * Cabinessence * Our Prayer * Tones * Barnyard * Heroes and Villains * Do You Like Worms? * Wind Chimes * Mrs. O’Leary’s Cow * George Fell Into His French Horn * Surf’s Up * The Old Master Painter * You Are My Sunshine * Cool, Cool Water

Disc 2: Smile Promo Advert * Wonderful (Vocal) * Love to Say Da Da * She’s Goin’ Bald * You’re Welcome * Barnyard (The Real One) * The Woodchop Song * Our Prayer (No Overdubs) * Mrs. O’Leary’s Cow (With Crackling Fire) * Medley: The Old Master Painter/You Are My Sunshine (Instrumental) * Tones (Complete Version) * Cabin Essence (Early Versoion, No Overdubs) * With Me Tonight * Heroes and Villains (Two Bits Of) * Do You Like Worms (Version 2) * Prayer (Rehearsal) * Surf’s Up (Rehearsal) * Tones (Rehearsal) * Don’t Talk (Pet Sounds Backing Track)

Picture disc: includes color Smile cover fold-out.

Brian Wilson – Smile (Chapter One Digital Recordings # CO 25145)

Surf’s Up (ver. 1) * Bicycle Rider Theme * Good Vibrations * I’m In Great Shape * Vegetables/Mama Says * Child is Father of the Man * Wonderful * Can’t Wait Too Long * With Me Tonight * Cabin Essence * Our Prayer * Tones * Heroes and Villains * Do You Like Worms? * Wind Chimes * Fire * George Fell Into His French Horn * Surf’s Up (ver. 2) * You Were My Sunshine * Water * Cool, Cool Water

The Beach Boys – The Alternative Smile Collection (Smile 9212)

Prayer #1 * Love to Say Da Da * She’s Goin’ Bald * With Me Tonight * Wonderful * Child is Father of the Man * You’re Welcome * Heroes and Villains #1 * Heroes and Villains #2 * Do You Like Worms #1 * Do You Like Worms #2 * Good Vibrations #1 * Good Vibrations #2 * Cabin Essence * Surf’s Up * Tones/Tune X #1 * Tones/Tune X #2 * George Fell Into His French Horn * Mrs. O’Leary’s Cos #1 * Mrs. O’Leary’s Cow #2 * Barnyard * The Woodchop Song * Holidays * Prayer #2

Smile (Vigotone # VIGO 110/111 – 2 Cd set)

Disk 1: Heroes and Villains * Do You Like Worms? * Old Master Painter/You Are My Sunshine * Wonderful * Child is Father to the Man * Prayer * Cabin Essence * Good Vibrations * Vega-Tables/I’m in Great Shape * Wind Chimes * Mrs. O’Leary’s Cow * Cool, Cool Water * Surf’s Up * Prayer * I Love to Say Da Da * Untitled (She’s Going Bald) * Untitled (With Me Tonight/Wonderful) * Child is Father to the Man * You’re Welcome * Heroes and Villains (x4) * Do You Like Worms?

Disk 2: Good Vibrations * Cabin Essence * Surf’s Up * Tones/Tone X * Old Master Painter/You Are My Sunshine * George Fell Into His French Horn * Mrs. O’Leary’s Cow * Barnyard * Woodshop * Holiday * Prayer * Surf’s Up * Smile Era Party

Includes a cardboard slipcase, deluxe color booklet and Smile poster.

I’m now waiting for my deluxe box set of  materials, CDs, LPs, singles, wow ...  to arrive from Amazon and then I’ll start digging into the “official” session materials. While I wait, you can go to this website/blog and see some pictures of the box set and some of these bootlegs. Enjoy. I’ve got work to do. Where will I find the time?!?

Read more at:

 ‘Smile’ – My First 25 Years : A Smile-Collector’s Fakebox

Originally written on Nov. 3, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment